Posts tagged ‘stop motion’
January 1, 2016
Happy 2016, faithful readers! With a new year shifting into gear, it seems like the blogosphere gets compelled to crank out ‘Best of‘ lists. And honestly? I’m no different. It’s just that mine tend to focus on stories.
That said, I’ve got some sticky truths I need to own up to from 2015: 1) I’ve been too swamped to read enough books (proofing your own ad nauseum doesn’t count), 2) I’m way too biased to share my fav TV (Mr Robot and Rick & Morty would sweep, son!), and 3) I’m too damn ‘fiscally challenged’ to rate any interactive stuff besides free Android apps (I love you, Piano Tiles 2!)
So…that leaves movies. Thankfully, the past year has been a stellar one.
Some points before cueing the drumroll:
- POST-OSCAR: I’m only counting flicks that were not up for 2015 Academy consideration, even if they were release after Jan 1.
- YET-TO-SEE: I still need to screen Carol, 45 Years, Beasts of No Nation, Macbeth, The Danish Girl, and a few outliers. I’m sure they’re all fine films, and will consider updating if one or more knock my flip-flops off.
- ‘BETTER AS DOCS’: I left out a pair of strong films – The Big Short and The Walk – because Oscar-winning documentaries on the exact same material (The Inside Job and Man on Wire respectively) were already rocking your Netflix queue.
- CRITERIA: I tend to rate flicks on the strength of the script, performance quality, direction skill, overall production…AND, most importantly, whether something ‘gives me the feels’. I shift this a little for non-fiction docs, but the structure remains pretty much the same.
Alrighty then…drumroll, please!!!
TIMELINE: 2010 – 2011
PLATFORM(S): Web, Videogame
GENRE: Animated Children’s content (stop-motion)
CLIENT: Karma Film
I was contracted to implement a ground-floor imagining of the design, interactive narrative, production management, and creative direction for a multi-pronged digital experience for this beloved Gemini Award-winning stop-motion animated children’s series.
- Designed user experience and overall media campaign strategy
- Produced/directed all in-studio production, technical assets, and audio/visual contributions
- Steered marketing strategy and ensured overall project timeline/budget adherence
- Secured additional national funding for ‘PHASE 2’ of the web experience: a Mariokart-inspired videogame, featuring hundreds of unique series characters and assets.
- Designed, produced and directed the game – Wapos Racerz – to completion with my recommended development team.
- Consulted on production and design for the Wapos Bay iPAD experience, now available!
Experience the heart-warming world of Wapos Bay HERE. (Flash required)
July 26, 2010
Stuck behind a desk?
I will think of you fondly
as I play with dolls
May 28, 2010
Ask and ye shall receive – the first in a series of quick behind-the-scenes vids from the Saskatoon stop-motion studio – featuring David Suzuki! 8)
This is just the first stage in a cool little project that’s launching in the fall, so stay tuned…